Monday, September 21, 2009

Life and weather




As you can tell from my recent weeks of posting I have been very short on devotional thoughts, spiritual insights and inspiration. Truthfully, it comes as rain often does...it may be a very dry time in a life, but a cloud will pass over and unload its bounty on the dry ground reviving life and inspiring hope. Life is often like the weather (not at all like a box of chocolates.) There are times of storm, wonderful times of calm healing rains, dry difficult times and there are days when it appears that everyone around you is blessed with a cloud full of rain, but your sky is hauntingly empty and your draught continues. As the ground cracks under your feet it makes you more keenly aware of the bounty being harvested in the life next door. The challenge for us is to keep our eyes on the Lord and trust him whether we are in a flood or a draught. Inspiration, for me, doesn't always come from the blessings of rain alone. Often inspiration comes from the empty sky above when it appears God is not only silent, but seems to be absent as well. And yet, I know he's there. I know he loves me. I know that he is working in my life. I know because I know him. He has cared for me my entire life and proven himself over and over again. Like the weather, the circumstances of our lives changes. We will all have difficult days to deal with. Most of us will also have days of bounty. We get in trouble when we think the days of bounty should be our norm. Normal for a Christian is an intimate relationship with God regardless of the weather. When the relationship is missing then our circumstances become our focus. If you ever begin to depend on circumstances for your joy and happiness you are in for a difficult life. It's my relationship with God that will carry me through every weather condition. It's my walk with him that will bring joy and peace even when the ground cracks under my feet, even if I'm up to my knees in the flood. I've tried to describe this in a hundred different ways as I've written about the Christian life. The focus of it all is a relationship with God. The goal of it all is a relationship with God. The desire of God's heart is a relationship with him, and yet we so easily focus on the weather...the circumstances around us. Here's a wonderful example of this in the life of another man...
...
Mat. 14:25 During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
28 "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
29 "Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

...
Like all of us Peter got his eyes on the weather, his circumstances, and took his eyes off of the Lord. Notice verse 30, "But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"" Now really, can anyone see the wind? Didn't he already know that what he was doing was impossible? Why was he worried about the wind? But it was just enough to take his eyes off of the Lord and then his circumstances got the best of him. And they do the same for us. When you begin to focus on your circumstances you will begin to sink, and hopefully, you will cry out, "Lord, help me!" as Peter did. What fascinated me in this passage is that Jesus was not far away, he didn't have to run to Peter to catch him. Before Peter even got wet it says, "Jesus reached out his hand and caught him." He was that close and yet Peter lost his focus. We do the same thing, but when the weather of your life catches your attention remember that God is right there with you to help you through your difficult days. The appeal is simple, "Lord, help me!" and he will reach out and catch you.


5 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I seem to remember a very wise man sharing this story with me years ago during a long round of unemployment and family illness. It's a story I cling to many times. I can remember being in a boat on the Sea of Galilee a year and half ago and imagining Jesus walking towards the boat. It really wasn't too hard to imagine since I've had to have that imagine in my head so many times when the wind and weather kicks up in my life.

I love the analogy about the dry times and everyone else around you having the blessing of rain. I sure understand that. I feel like that right now. In my flesh I unfortunately find that I often am jealous of others' blessings of rain and wonder when the dryness for me will ever end. It's been a lot of years of dryness it seems. But what I'm realizing is that there are a LOT of people experiencing the dryness in their lives, too - more than I ever thought.

Just another reason we need each other so desperately - for encouragement and prayer and to bear each other's burdens. I'm thankful that God placed me in a church family that has truly cared for us during this dry time.

Praying for you, Mike.

Mike Messerli said...

Thank you, Lori. And, let me tell you ahead of time that God is not wasting these dry times in your life. He's preparing you. When you are ready (and only he knows when that is), he will use your life and the things you have learned in amazing ways. I have that info from someone I trust dearly. It will be exciting, so as you are molded, rejoice, because the results will be amazing.

Schweers' Mom said...

Thanks, Mike. That's very encouraging. =-)

Unknown said...

I can relate to this. I'm in that dry spell too! Thanks Mike for the encouragement.

mike said...

I find it amazing how the Lord keeps asking me to get out of the boat and walk on water with Him. I know He is calling me to greater things and wants me to put all my trust in Him for everything.