Monday, August 06, 2007

I've lost a friend

Major Ian Thomas, born in Hampstead, London, England, September 13, 1915 died in Estes Park, Colorado, USA, on the 1st of August 2007.

"Heaven is rejoicing as Dad is welcomed home" That was the heading on the news sent round to the other Torchbearer centres by Chris Thomas just yesterday..."At 1:40 today (Wednesday) Dad, whom many affectionately referred to as "The Major," "Ian" or "big brother" went to be with the One whom he loved, served and about whom he couldn't stop talking. That was true until the end!" It is with sadness that this announcement comes but also with a tremendous sense of thanksgiving and joy as Capernwray and Torchbearers International reflect upon the remarkable journey he had upon earth.

So many are eternally grateful for the message of life in Christ that he so clearly and powerfully proclaimed and no doubt there will be those reading this who will recall a moment, a turn of phrase and a Scripture explained that sparked life into the soul, none more so than "Christ in you, your only hope of glory." As far as living the Christian life is concerned he always maintained it was impossible. He would never let us forget, "Only Christ can do that," and often said "He never said we could--He always said He would".

For me, this is like losing an old friend. I didn't have an intimate relationship with Major Thomas, but he was a big influence in my Christian life. I met him the first time at university in 1970. It was a life-changing experience for me. I was among the few students that got to have dinner with Major. I will never forget watching this old saint, feeble even in the early 70's, getting up from dinner to get the ice tea pitcher and serve US! That little act of service has permanently been burned into my life as I remember him serving us....we should have served him!

I met him again, several times over the years, but it was that first meeting in 1970 that challenged my faith, and gave me a clear picture of how to live the Christian life. If you have never read Major Thomas' writings you are missing a major influence in your walk with God. (The play on words was unintentional.)

In fact, his influence on me has affected my family as well....we named our firstborn son after the Major. We named him Ian.

Thank you, Major, for your influence on my life. Although your work is done it's still bearing fruit. Thank you for FINISHING WELL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, reading this made me really sad as well. About 10 years ago I have been doing a Summer Service at 'Bodenseehof' in Germany which is a school from Torchbearers as well.

I haven't had the change to get known to Major personally, but I have seen his influence on that school, have listened to his preachings on CD and read at least two of his books.

Oh yes - finished well - and encouraged so many to join him on the way. He led an impressing life!

vincit omnia veritas said...

Sorry to hear about Major Thomas passing to glory. Will take your advice and read his writings.

With condolences,
Vincent from Singapore