Thursday, July 07, 2016

Reflections

Like many my age, I’m thinking back and looking ahead. Life has happened so quickly, passed by so swiftly, that I suddenly look around and exclaim, “hey, wait a minute, that ride went way too quickly!!”

Life is short. I heard that said when I was young, but never believed it. In the early years we think time crawls, but as we age it moves more quickly and soon it’s hard to keep up.

It seems only a few days ago that my brother and I were riding bikes and exploring the world in our small town. We chased dogs, built forts, pretended to be soldiers on secret missions. The imagination was such a wonderful gift to young boys. The only requirement our mom had was we were home by dark. She had no idea where we were, but it was rural Iowa, and it was the days when life was much safer.

Soon college, then marriage, kids, diapers (I hated diapers!), a new job here, a move there…time kept passing and before we realized what had happened the kids were grown and I told my wife, “I think I’m old.” It was a random thought that came from the pains of life and the fleeing hair on my head.

All that to say, at this moment in time, the most important thing I ever did in my entire life was trust Christ as my savior and surrender my life to him. All the rest, both good and bad, have a completely different color, a different taste because of that one decision in 1964.

Life is short. Enjoy every moment, but know this - trusting Christ and surrendering your life to him is the most important thing you will ever do. There is nothing more important than that.

Now, looming ahead is eternity. How wonderful to look back and know that God has worked in my life and to look ahead and see him at the finish line. Soon we each will cross the tape and hopefully gain the rewards of a race run well.


No comments: