Monday, October 19, 2009

Comforting one another


I had an amazing thing happen last night at a meeting at church. A dear friend of mine came up to me and comforted me. He has been through a lot in his life and he is aware of a situation I'm going through right now. He came up to me, almost with tears in his eyes, and told me he understood. I can't tell you how that moved my spirit. It made all the emotions that are rumbling around inside me calm. Someone understands and cares for me! That was a real moment of God touching me and helping me as another Christian came along side, comforted me and showed me the love of Christ. It felt as if, in that moment, my friend was filling in for Christ and comforting me in Christ's stead.
...
I must tell you that I experienced what Paul talked about in 2 Corinthians. It's something we are called to do for one another in the family called "Christian", and last night I was the one comforted. Don't miss the opportunity to reach out and care for someone, you may not realize how wonderful your comfort is to them in their difficult time. Here are Paul's instructions to us as God's family-
...
2 Corinthians 1:3-7 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

No comments: