Sunday, October 04, 2009

Children in the hands of a loving God


In 1741 Jonathan Edwards wrote a sermon entitled "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." It changed the lives of many and brought many to faith, but once we come to Christ as savior our relationships change completely. Now we are children in the hands of a loving God.
...
We are no longer sinners dealing with God as judge, but now we come to him as children in the hands of a loving Father. Our relationship changes completely. While a lost man sees him as harsh and a judge we, as Christians, call him father and run to him for a hug.
...
David described his relationship with God this way,
...
Psalm 131:2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
...
Often, I hear the language of the world in response to God and their words describe a harsh, cruel God waiting to smite them. Their anger and rage, as they view God's judgment for their sins, tells us they only see an angry God with a frown on his face. It is the reality of the world who sees God apart from Jesus Christ and the cross, but coming to the cross the sinner suddenly see God's smile, his forgiveness and now see him as a loving father.
...
You need to know that your view of God is completely different from someone who hasn't trusted him as savior. You are on different sides of the cross. When you stand before him on your own merits you stand condemned. When you come to him and stand on the merits of Christ you stand before him as the object his forgiveness, an object of his love. Suddenly we find ourselves as children in the hands of a loving God.
...
As a child in the hands of a loving father my whole life is framed by this picture of a child loved by his father. God loves me and his tender hands are caring for me and holding me. While the world may see his frown I enjoy his smile. It changes my commentary on the events of my life when I realize who is caring for me, who loves me and his promises to me. I'm thrilled to be a child in the hands of a loving God.

No comments: