Saturday, October 31, 2009

Writing your own story


Life is a great adventure....or at least it should be....
...
I'm in the middle of Donald Miller's book "A million miles in a thousand years" and I am really enjoying it. He talking about living out his story, or rather realizing that his life is a story lived out. I thought about that and wondered....if my life were a book would anyone want to read it? Would it be boring, scary, an adventure, a narrative or a fairy tale? I'm fascinated by this idea of my life being a story I'm living, a story I'm writing. It has me thinking differently about the events of the day. I'm looking at things a little different than I have in the past. Often a day is something to simply endure or a meeting something to get through, but if, as Miller writes, my life is a wonderful adventure of my walk with God (and it should be) then how am I viewing the events of my days? Am I on a pirate ship looking for adventure or am I on a cruise ship enjoying the moment not really caring about the sights to see? Writing my own story adds an element to life, a texture, that I had never considered. I have no illusions that my life is an exciting adventure, a story of mystery and intrigue, a story of a great hero saving the world, but I don't want to miss the adventure God is inviting me to walk with him. It may not be a story anyone else would want to read, but it's a story I don't want to miss living.

4 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I have to say that I enjoy reading stories about people's lives. But some of it is dependent upon what kind of writer they are. Bill Bryson (Thunderbolt Kid) is HILARIOUS. I've also enjoyed Haven Kimmel's memoirs (A Girl Named Zippy) as well as Jeannette Walls (Glass Castle). If I could only write as cleverly as those writers do, then I think I could make even my seemingly boring life interesting enough. =-)

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

But isn't that the most amazing thing about life. I think for the last 18 years I have been walking in the reality that I live an adventure every day. I love what God brings across my path. I think it was when I realized that Christ is the leading man in a fantastic Romance... and He really has a part for me to play in the storyline. It has been an adventure ever since. Good grief why else would I be living on the other side of the world, learning a foriegn language, culture and people. He wants me to tell His Romance Story everytime I possibly can. Writing about it... I might leave that to someone else who takes time to decifer my journals!!!! haha! HUGS! dear friend.

diane m said...

Just finished his book this afternoon. I really enjoy his writings. It's simple and real. The book left me challenged to make more attempts to exit the "rat race". This year has lived me more than I have lived it. I'm looking forward to a new year and a new story!

Brandon and Jenny said...

We decorated our son's room with pirate stuff when he was a baby. We put "Treasured" on his wall, his aunt painted him this incredible treasure map and Jenny made this plaque that has Proverbs 2:1-6 on it. Part of that section says, (speaking about wisdom/understanding)

"and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,

5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."

I think life is supposed to be an adventure, at least in that sense. Not like a Hollywood movie, but simply a life lived with the gusto and the passion of the search for hidden treasure. God is not boring and neither is following Him. What that looks like is different for every person, but whatever form that takes, boring doesn't describe it - your life included!