Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The challenges of the days

My good friend, Brandon, suggested that since I hadn't blogged in a couple days perhaps I had sold everything to head for the mission field. I'm more and more interested in such an idea, but alas I'm still here. It's been extremely busy, and even as I write this short post I am pressed for time and aware of the need to prepare a message I will give in only two hours....nothing like waiting until the last minute. But what I want to mention is my visit with one of our men yesterday over lunch. In this visit my friend, who is retired, said, "I want to finish well, but I don't see a place to serve." I thought about this and realized that often the most valuable people in your church family who are available to serve and be part of the ministry are those who are retired. My friend said he wakes up hoping to have something to do that day. How have we so often ignored or missed this amazing resource of people. They may be retired from work, but they don't wish to be retired from life and ministry. For me this is now a "front burner" item to work on. "I want to finish well..." What a great desire, but how could it be that so many don't have a place to serve? A ministry to do? Something of value they can do for the kingdom of God? In a little over an hour I'm speaking to one of the groups in our church and will be talking about these very issues. What a great desire- to finish well. That's my desire, and here is my model for what that might look like- Billy Graham. He didn't do everything right, he made a lot of mistakes, but finish well he has. I'm not heading for the dark reaches of the planet to preach to the unreached yet, but maybe one day....who knows what God has in store for each of us? I can't wait to use every day for God's kingdom and only retire when I die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike I thought yoiu had retired along time ago. Most of the young people are out there fighting to get ahead of the payments and prepair the children to do life. They work largely to fulfill this roll. Once I got past that time of life, I retired to apply my abilities to work at what God had in store for me and to do it for the joy of serving Him in what ever he set my hand on. I retired from the rat race of tring to do all that I felt would promote me to success. My ideal of retirement is stopping the self promotion and thinking I could be in full controll if I just worked hard enough. I decided to be a child again, and let my Heavenly Father be responcible for taking care of my every need. As a son I am only responcible to listen and do as I am told. It's fun being His Child. Mike McM