Tuesday, March 10, 2009

People God uses

I've been thinking about a passage of scripture for a while so I thought I would put some of my thoughts down on paper. What I've been thinking about is this- most of the people used by God are not the successful, rich, smart, famous or pretty. God used available people. He uses the helpless, the hopeless, the hapless so that He will be glorified through our lives. Here's the passage I mentioned and then a few more thoughts-

1Co 1:26 Take a good look, friends, at who you were when you got called into this life. I don't see many of "the brightest and the best" among you, not many influential, not many from high-society families.
1Co 1:27 Isn't it obvious that God deliberately chose men and women that the culture overlooks and exploits and abuses,
1Co 1:28 chose these "nobodies" to expose the hollow pretensions of the "somebodies"?
1Co 1:29 That makes it quite clear that none of you can get by with blowing your own horn before God.
1Co 1:30 Everything that we have--right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start--comes from God by way of Jesus Christ.
1Co 1:31 That's why we have the saying, "If you're going to blow a horn, blow a trumpet for God."


Most people never give God a chance to work in their lives because they don't think they have anything God can use. They have completely missed the point- these are exactly the people God wants. He doesn't want what you can do for him, he wants you with all your failures and "warts". He wants the broken, the hurting, the failures of society and will do great things through them if they will simply give him their lives. It's never your ability he wants, it's your availability. I love that about God. He does great things with anyone who will simply give him the only thing he asks for- US. Most think God could never use me, but have never made themselves available to find out what he could do in their lives. My wife and I have been attending a class on missions, and the thing that comes up over and over again is that God will use anyone. He will do great things through anyone.....anyone who will say "yes" to him.

No comments: