Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Praying


Yesterday I did something I have never done before. I don't know why, but it never came to mind before. Yesterday I met with one of our men and as we finished our time together I asked him if I could pray for him. I'm not sure why the next thing happened, but I'm still thinking about it this morning. As I began to pray here's how I started- "Lord, would you give me the right words to pray for my friend?" Then, after a moment of silence, I prayed for him. I was surprised at what I said, but it was clear that God was working in my life. It wasn't just me with a list of requests or my own thoughts put to words. I had actually invited God into even my part of the prayer time.....not just as the listener to my requests, but even more....I had invited him to be part of the very prayer I prayed. I'm not sure why I have never done this or thought about it before, but I do want him involved in my requests as well as in the answers. It's something I'm still thinking about. I wonder what God will do with this in my life? I wonder what he will do in my friend's life as well?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Perhaps we should all make that request before we pray. Thanks for sharing this - I'm going to give it a try.

Cheri said...

I love praying this way for people. When I don't sense anything else to pray I just stop. I'd love to chat about this in person one day.