Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Amazing God!


Last night, as we looked at the stars and took this photo, I thought about five words in the creation narrative of Genesis 1, "He made the stars too."  I'm awestruck, as most of us are, by the sky at night...the vastness of the Universe, the galaxies that Hubble telescope has shown us...literally billions of stars and galaxies...and we can't see them all! 

And here is how God describes their origin,  "Oh, and he made the stars too..."  Almost as an afterthought to the creation narrative this is added.  Something that amazes us is almost an afterthought to the God who made it.  I'm struck by that.  It makes my awe of the Universe he has made pale in comparison to my awe of HIM.  He is so great, so powerful that a Universe that captivates us is an afterthought to him.

What an amazing God!  If he can do that he can surely care for me, meet my small little needs and work in my life.  But the question rises for me....why did he make the stars?  I think he made them to point to him.  When we look up at the vastness of the Universe around us we gasp in awe and without realizing it instinctively ask, "Who made that? There must be a God!"  

David wrote these words, 


"The heavens proclaim the glory of God.

    The skies display his craftsmanship."

Paul wrote,

 "For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. 
So they have no excuse for not knowing God."

Why the stars?  They reveal an amazing God!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

The after-thought realization really struck me as its not something I picked up on before. Wow, indeed for such majestic creation to be so simple for God to accomplish. Thanks for sharing this.