Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Perspectives

For sale: Beautiful tropical island. Wonderful view, isolated location, very private, tree studded lot, ideal for just the right vacation home.

It's all in how we view things, isn't it? One sees a problem, another sees an opportunity. We describe it as glass-half-full or glass-half-empty thinking. I think that's why James writes these words as he does:

Jas 1:2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
Jas 1:3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.
Jas 1:4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Verse two is the decision, verses three and four are the reasons. Because of what I know from verses three and four I can consider my trials in a completely different way...I can choose a different perspective...I can consider trials a joy! That sounds so strange in our world today, but when I know what God is doing it changes how I view everything!

So what is God doing? Paul tells us God's goal in Romans:

Rom 8:29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;

All that we go through, all the trials we endure, are used by God to help us grow, to conform us to someone who looks like Christ. You can view the trials of life as a bother, an annoyance, a curse.....or you can see them as James describes...a reason for joy because we know the outcome- us molded into the image of Christ.

So, as you encounter your trials of this day choose to be joyful knowing what God is doing in your life. It's a matter of perspective.

1 comment:

jhh said...

Thanks, Mike. A very timely reminder.