Sunday, November 05, 2006

Life happens


I love faces! There is so much to see- time, life, sorrows, happiness, regrets, satisfaction, hope, fears....all of it shows in the face. I sometimes wonder about a persons life when I meet them- what caused those wrinkles? Why are they so sad? What makes them so happy? What happened in their life to create that heavy brow? What history has happened in this life to create that look? What have they gone through?
We each live out our choices and over the years they add up to a life...lived well or lived poorly...the choices show, and become part of who we are. It's the art work we are creating called our faces.
Once in a while I will see a smile on an old face....it's hard to do, but they try.
What makes us smile?
Is it an easy life?
A lot of money?
No problems?
I have found one thing that will bring a smile. In fact it's the only place in the bible where the word "smile" is used. It comes from an understanding of ME, and an understanding of GOD. When I get those two things right then the little things of life stay little. When I lose focus on who is God, then I have problems.
Make it your goal to let God be God,
and smile because he is!

Psa 39:1-13- I said, "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue: "LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. "Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; Surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Selah. "Surely every man walks about as a phantom; Surely they make an uproar for nothing; He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them. "And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You. "Deliver me from all my transgressions; Make me not the reproach of the foolish. "I have become mute, I do not open my mouth, Because it is You who have done it. "Remove Your plague from me; Because of the opposition of Your hand I am perishing. "With reproofs You chasten a man for iniquity; You consume as a moth what is precious to him; Surely every man is a mere breath. Selah.
"Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; Do not be silent at my tears; For I am a stranger with You, A sojourner like all my fathers. "Turn Your gaze away from me, that I may smile again Before I depart and am no more."

No comments: