Friday, November 03, 2006

Personal Mission Statement

I've noticed that most businesses have a mission statement. It's their statement of who they are and what they want to do. Here are a few of them:

Microsoft- "At Microsoft, we work to help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential. This is our mission. Everything we do reflects this mission and the values that make it possible."

Chick-fil-A- "Be America's Best Quick-Service Restaurant"

Honda- "Maintaining a global viewpoint, we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction."

That's only three, but you get the idea. Do you have a mission statement, a personal one? Do you have an overarching mission statement for your life? I know that businesses and churches all have them, but I find that few people have ever thought of such a thing for their lives. What do you want to be "when you grow up?" What is the goal of your life, your mission statement?

If asked to write one what would your mission statement be?

Here are a couple examples of personal mission statements-

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain." - Paul

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliott

"He who dies with the most toys wins." -bumper sticker

4 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

Mike Messerli said...

Lori, I didn't expect that one, but that's a good one.

Schweers' Mom said...

I guess I could have been more "serious" (although I am very serious about good coffee..)

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Mike - I remember the first time you asked me this question. It was in the old building's fireside room. I won't ever forget - because I took it to heart. I have the statement in my journal - somewhere..."To know Christ everyday - To share Christ every day."
When I think back on that I laugh - Who'd have realized that mission statement for life, that plumb line, so to speak, would have brought me here.
Hummmmmm I'm thinking this time I'll add Lori's in with mine :-)