Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Celebrating "here"


I am amazed at my own thoughts at times. I find that I often think about "somewhere else." We are such funny creatures. We are so seldom content with where we are, who we are, and what we are doing. We all want to be somewhere else, doing something different. We miss so much with our wandering desires, our dreams of "something better."

Paul wrote these daunting words-

Phi 4:11 Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances.
Phi 4:12 I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty.
Phi 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

I have lived a lot of years on this poor planet, and yet contentment often eludes me. I "want" something, not sure what, something more...something else...somewhere other than here. It's a terrible disease- this discontent that we feel. Why can't we find peace with who we are, where we are and doing what God has given us to do? But we don't, we can't, we won't....so peace evaporates before our eyes.

I know I have written about this before, and I visit it again because I see such a struggle with this issue of contentment. How do we sort all of this out? What do we pursue as Godly desires, and when do we simply rest in his provision? It's a walk with the Lord that brings clarity to all of this, but it's not easy to achieve. It's a challenge to find that place, that walk, that peace of contentment with here, now, what I'm doing, who I am.

Lord, for me, help me to find that place with you where the calm of contentment brings clarity to my life. Lead me to that place, that knowledge, that relationship. Help me to find peace with here, now, and what you have given me to do.

As Bucaroo Bonzai said, "Just remember, wherever you go, there you are."

9 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Brother, I totally understand. The only way I deal with it is by submitting to the tension of having to live in a place that will never be home. Home for us cannot be lived in these bodies so I have to be transformed and that seems to take longer than I want.

But at least when I'm bowing to the Lord, I get a little taste of HOME.

Schweers' Mom said...

It's so hard because of the great job that marketing people do in making us feel like if we just had that "next thing" we would surely be happy. When we get that "next thing", we realize that it's already obsolete and therefore we MUST have the "next thing." It's an insatiable cycle. Understandably we should find our hope and contentment in Christ, but it is sure hard to fight the world screaming "you need, you need, you need" in your ear.

Great thoughts, Mike. I needed to read that today.

Kathy said...

I think it was Larry Crabb who wrote about the "longing" that we feel and assures the reader it is very normal. If we were content *here* we would have no need to look forward to our eternal life in heaven. His notion was: this side of heaven we will struggle to be content and yet we are not built to be content. The hole in us...reminds us of the wholeness we will have someday when we are home.

Mike Messerli said...

great comments everyone, I guess this is a universal feeling we all deal with, isn't it? Unfortunately most of us try to fill it with the wrong things. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming back to this topic. I needed to hear it. I am so discontent with life right now, but I am trying to combat it with being thankful. Whenever I start to get frustrated with where I'm at (or not at) I think of at least one positive thing about my situation. That usually helps -- for a little while. SM

Anonymous said...

“I do not try, Lord, to attain your lofty heights,
because my understanding is in no way equal to it.
But I do desire to understand your truth a little
—that truth my heart believes and loves.
For I do not seek to understand so that I may believe;
But I believe so that I may understand.
For this I believe also,
That ‘unless I believe, I shall not understand.’”

Anselm of Canterbury

-Dave

Anonymous said...

One More:

The most perfect way of seeking God,
and the most suitable order, is not for us to attempt with bold curiosity to penetrate to the investigation of His essence, which we ought more to adore than meticulously to search out, but for us to contemplate Him in His works, whereby He renders Himself near and familiar to us, and in some manner communicates Himself.

John Calvin (1509-1564)

-Dave

Schweers' Mom said...

Great quotes, Dave! I need to write those down!!!

Anonymous said...

i like your blog, too.