Thursday, April 05, 2018

Lingering at the Finish Line


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus..."
Hebrews 12:1-2

I find my vocation, at this stage of life, as one lingering at the finish line of the race.  I am there to help those running their race.   I'm there to help them finish.  I'm there to cheer them on, to encourage them and be with them as they cross the tape.  

There are times of applause as they cross the line well, smiles and cheers of celebration.  There are times when my role is to encourage, to let them know they are not alone in their race.

Once in a while I find I'm helping them cross the line, helping them get to the finish line well.  Not everyone will get there with arms raised high.  Some will just barely crawl across the line and collapse. 

Everyone will finish.  My job, as support staff at the finish line, is to help them.

The finish line is an amazing place.  It's a place of smiles and applause, of tears and weeping, of pain and exhaustion.  Every emotion you have ever had will come together at the finish line.  Family will come to celebrate your finish or to weep at the way you ran.  Either way the tape comes for all of us.

Working on the finish line crew is challenging and wonderful.  What an honor!  

Today I bought a bird feeder for one of our ladies nearing the tape.  She likes to look out the window and loves birds so I got a feeder to attach to the window.  She's having a tough time finishing well.  I came into the house to see what she thought. She said, "that looks terrible!"  then she stuck out her tongue at me and told me to go away.  I smiled, said "you are welcome" and left.

Sometimes nearing the finish line is messy.  Sometimes it's funny.



No comments: