Sunday, December 31, 2017

Perhaps today

This is the last day of 2017.  One year ends and another begins in just a few hours.  We celebrate the end of one year and welcome the new, but isn't it just another day?

New years resolutions will be made and quickly broken.  Diets started and abandoned. Promises made and broken.  But aren't we simply talking about today?

The real focus at the end of a year, at the end of each day is this- perhaps today the Lord will return.  

Am I living in such a way that I welcome his soon return or dread it?  Am I loving others as he asked me or using them? If today was the last day how would others celebrate my life or welcome my death?  

Perhaps today is your last.  Perhaps today the Lord will return.  Perhaps today the world will end.  I'm not being fatalistic, I'm simply inviting a proper response to the God who will come to judge the living and the dead.

Perhaps today.  Whatever the new year, the next day holds am I living in such a way that pleases my Father?  That's the only question that matters.

No comments: