Friday, December 01, 2017

Here is the conclusion...

As a young man 
I remember the words
that impacted me

Significance

Impact

Legacy

Make a difference

But as I age
as I near the end
of this grand race of life

I'm reminded
of words from scripture,

"Why, you do not even know 
what will happen tomorrow
What is your life? 
You are a mist, a vapor
 that appears for a little while 
and then vanishes."


And now I begin to see
that scripture is right


I've made very little impact
done nothing significant
and leave no real legacy


My life
like every other
is just a vapor
a mist
that disappears
when the sun rises


More clearly than ever
I realize that 
Solomon had it right
as he closed his final book
and wrote,


"Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind.
For God will bring every deed into judgment,
 including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil."





No comments: