Monday, July 07, 2014

Movies, children and life


My wife and I have been texting back and forth on several issues in recent days and it seems that lines from children's movies keep coming up.

This morning she wrote, "Like Dorie says, 'Just keep swimming.'" (Finding Nemo)

And I replied, "Ok, I'm swimming and singing, 'Everything is awesome...' (The Lego movie) and thinking 'Let it go, let it go...' (Frozen).  

How is it that the words of children's movies become the life principles of our day?  

Movies seems to reflect the way we think and live in real time and the very words become embedded in our vocabulary.  Last week I said on Facebook, "Curse you Lego movie for the 'Everything is awesome' lyrics. I can't get them out of my head."  And in reply one of my friends said, "You're just going to have to 'let it go, let it go...'"  

In another children's movie (Despicable Me 2) one of the songs of the movie has become a world-wide hit.  The song is "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. It's now the background music of our lives almost every day.

We might find it interesting how much the principles of our lives and culture are actually reflected back to us in the movies we pay to see.  I wonder, what's next?  I almost fear the song, the words I won't be able to forget, that come from the next children's movie.  I can't wait!


No comments: