Friday, April 18, 2014

What would you ask?

This week, as my wife was working on a bible study, she came to the story of Bartimaeus in the study.  It's the story of a blind man (the story is below) and his encounter with Jesus.  When he had persisted in his plea for help Jesus called him and asked, "What do you want me to do for you?"

In her study the question was this- If you had been in that situation what would you have asked for?  I thought about it a bit, but pretty much already knew my answer....it's my primary request to God....but then my mind wandered to another story.

The story that came to my thoughts was the encounter of Solomon as God came to him and said, "Ask what you will..."  It was the "magic genie" kind of question...you have one wish, anything you want, it's yours! God's hands were open wide for anything Solomon would ask. To his credit, Solomon asked for wisdom.  God was pleased with his request and gave him more than he had requested...he gave his wealth, power, wisdom and much more!

As I thought about  Bartimaeus I also thought about Solomon.  Two men who both were given one grand open ended offer- "what do you want?"  Solomon chose well, but I wonder about Bartimaeus. 

Here's the story and then a few thoughts on the offer of Jesus.

Mark 10:46 Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means “son of Timaeus”), was sitting by the roadside begging. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
48 Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”
So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.”50 Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.
51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.
The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

Bartimaeus had a problem, he was blind.  His opportunity came and he asked for what he thought was the most important need of his life, but realize he could have asked for anything...wealth, power, long life!  What would you have asked if you had been blind in the presence of Jesus the miracle worker?  What would you have asked for?  I think most of us would have asked just as he did...for our most important need- sight.

It struck me there might have been a much better choice, a better request.  My mind wandered as I imagined what God might have done with another request from this man who could have anything he wanted.  What if he had asked, "Jesus, can I follow you?  I'll need some help because I'm blind, but could I follow you?"  

As I thought about that question I could see a twinkle in Jesus eyes. I imagine he would have smiled and replied, "YES!  I would love that, but you will need your sight, here is that as well."  I imagine this once blind man following Jesus, one of the 12...or should I say the 13 and after the cross he takes Judas' place among the apostles.  

I imagine Bartimaeus among the others on the day of Pentecost.  I think of a man with a testimony that changes his world....but he didn't ask to follow Jesus, he probably didn't even think of that.  He just asked for sight.  How blind we really are sometimes.  Even though we see we sometimes miss what's most important.

In the midst of your greatest need, if God came to you and asked, "What do you want me to do for you?"  What would you reply?  What would you ask?

Now the answer's not so easy, is it?




No comments: