Monday, February 05, 2007

Beginning a book study

We started a study in the gospel of John yesterday. I'm really excited about the study. I have studied John since I became a believer, and am still learning new things. One writer put it this way,

"it's simple enough for a baby to wade in, but deep enough for a mature Christian to
swim in."
It's such a rich book I don't know what to put into the study and what to leave out.
The thing about John that is so amazing is that in this gospel Jesus clearly claims to be God.
There is no doubt about that claim. It is not in doubt that he claimed it more than once in the book, and each person must make a decision about that claim because he also said, "noone comes to the Father but through me" so Jesus has created a challenge for our religion saturated world- either he's God and the only savior or he isn't, and you can't make that choice lightly until you read John.
One other thing I have found in John is that John is completely focused on this one thing- Jesus Christ himself. He forces the reader to almost literally come face to face with Jesus and his claims and make a decision.
There is no one like Jesus Christ in time or history who has so impacted our world, and still does today. I guess that's easy for him....because he's God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....just something i thought of when you were sharing all of the 7's thru the book of John. Well, the word "believe" which was used 98? times also has 7 letters. We could get a game going with this!

Schweers' Mom said...

New blog format???

What was the thicker book you showed yesterday that you said you purchased for $8 on the internet (see, I was paying attention)?

Enjoyed it yesterday and am excited about digging into the new study!

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

format? yes, trying to figure out what's wrong with my blog. I can't save any format changes...so I thought a new template would help. It didn't. I'm having some blogger problems that I can't seem to get help with, so that's why the change..all to no avail.

the book? It's "The gospel & epistles of John" by F.F. Bruce, Eerdmans publisher. I got it on Christian books for $8. They should still have them at that price. Here's the web site for it, but it's now $9-

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=49156&netp_id=228669&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

Mike Messerli said...

And, one more question- would you give me some feedback on the sermon? (Not to make me feel good, but your thoughts, critique, suggestions?) After years away from the pulpit I can't see where I need to "sharpen" my presentation. Your help is appreciated. thanks

Schweers' Mom said...

Thanks, Mike! I'll check out that reference plus the other one you mentioned. I think I already have the Wiersbe one.

I can't believe you would ask me for my feedback! I think you always do a fantastic job. Let me think about it and see if I can think of anything more constructive than "GREAT JOB!"

stephanie said...

i really enjoyed the sermon yesterday. by some coincidence it tied into and wrapped up a conversation that my husband and i had the night before. it was perfect for us. :)

i am really excited about this book study. :)