Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A great day


I had the opportunity to attend a conference at Dallas Theological Seminary on Monday. The keynote speaker was Andy Stanley. I got there early and got a front row seat. I must tell you that Andy is a very gifted communicator. I really enjoyed his two sessions. Now I know that he has probably given these lectures dozens of times, but he did a great job of communicating some very important principles for pastors.
His focus in the first session was on systems. I won't go into that, but the second session was from one of his books on doing only what you do best. It's been a lingering thought in my mind since I read his book, and his talk brought it back to focus.
What is it that you do better than anyone else? What do you most enjoy? Is there a way you can focus on doing that and letting others do what they do best? These are some of the questions. I know it may be a "ministry" question, but I think it applies to all areas of life. What are you made to do, and are you doing it?
Just a few questions I will be thinking about this week.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I agree this is ideal but there are many moments when I must do something badly...or mediocre...because no one else has stepped forward.

No matter how you slice it, will we always end up with 80% of the ministry being done by 20% of the body?

stephanie said...

i understand the point. it applies not only to the church but in many other areas of life as well. it makes sense. but, i don't have anything that i do "better than anyone else", especially in a church this size. i know what i enjoy but, that doesn't necissarily mean i am any good at it. i am a very mediocre/average person with no special talents that are of any use to anybody. so, where does that put me? where do i fit myself in?

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately! I was frustrating myself trying to come up with something great that I could set out to accomplish. But then I realized that what I do best, better than anyone else, is be a mother to my two daughters and a wife to my husband; and they need me more than anyone else.

Mike Messerli said...

Stephanie,
it's all about people...our job is to take care of those around us who are like us...it's caring for one another ultimately.

mutt,
you got it! It's job #1 to take care of and disciple our families, well said.

stephanie said...

i like what you say, mutt.

right now my job is to take care of the kiddos and their daddy. i will focus on that. although, i do have an intense desire to become more involved with things at church. i just don't know what i can do as far as that is concerned. wait until the kids are older, maybe.

Mike Messerli said...

Ladies,

here's an idea- why don't you get together and form a ministry to other moms like yourselves? Meet, talk, pray, care for each other and each other's kids??? Just an idea....