Saturday, February 03, 2007

Over committed or overcoming?

Is it a matter of over committment or simply a matter of balance? I have experienced in my own life, and watched it in others, this trend towards trying to do everything. Are we trying to do too much? Or, are we getting better at our "balance" of all of this stuff? The problem is that we all need down time, time alone and a chance to "unwind." But in our culture that is less and less available, less and less encouraged. I know I need some time to do nothing, but where do I fit that in? I must have some time to spend with God, pray, read the word, but when can I possibly do that!?

The next question is the big one- who's in charge of my life? Is it me, the schedule, the stuff I have to do, or the balancing act? The bible makes it clear I'm in charge, and that's my blessing and my curse. For the Jews of the Old Testament the message from the prophets was, "you have chosen badly, REPENT!" All through the bible our live are a matter of our choices, good or bad, and we get to live with the results.

Have you become good at the "balance" or do you realize, as you look behind you, that you are overloaded? Make some choices, cut some ropes, dump some of the load, stop, get off the ride for a while, and just do nothing....it's called rest. Do you remember that?

Here's David's instructions:

Psa 37:3 Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
Psa 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psa 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
Psa 37:6 He will bring forth your righteousness as the light And your judgment as the noonday.
Psa 37:7 Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
Psa 37:8 Cease from anger and forsake wrath; Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.

As pastors in the old days would say it, "are you over committed or are you overcoming?"

No comments: