Saturday, January 06, 2007

Fumbling in the light

I have been a Christian for a long time, and yet, I still feel like I'm just getting started, still trying to figure things out, still fumbling in the light.

It's frustrating to have read the bible through hundreds of times, and still have things I need to work on. I guess I am really frustrated with the reality of my ever active, ever present sin nature, how desperately wicked I am, and how fallen we all are. It's such a bother to have to deal with this sin nature. For me, the best part of heaven will be the absense of my sin nature. Oh sure, I will love the new body, and the new home and eternity, but to be rid of this sin nature....I cannot wait!

I read the word, pray and gradually grow, rowing toward the goal....and yet the me I started with is still active, still busy, still trying to get his own way. For all of us it's the weight we long to unload, the anchor that slows our progress.

I vividly remember the comments from one of our men in the church when we had to announce the fall of a friend. He came up to me with tears, and wept, "I hate sin, I hate sin...." He couldn't say anything else. Well, that describes it for me. That's the place I have come to- a deep hatred for sin and what it does, and in the shadow of that I am also working on another thing, quite the opposite...

I'm comsumed by Jesus' simple instructions to a religion leader who asked, "what's the most important thing?" Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I am teaching on this tomorrow, but it has become more than a simple topic to teach through, it is weaving its golden threads through all that I am. I can't wait to see what these words do in my life, for they are becoming most important to me.

I am convinced of this one thing- If I work on nothing else in my entire Christian life other than these two things-to love God and love my neighbor, I will have a great walk with God!

8 comments:

susan in fm said...

I am excited to hear what God has to say to me (through you) tomorrow, then. I completely agree with you - if I could just do those two things... wow, imagine if we all did. I can only work on me, though. Thanks for the reminder.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Amen, brother.

Thank you for living real life. God has far more use for a man who loves Him than anyone who thinks they 'get it'.

May the mighty Spirit of God anoint you to speak and honor the King!

Mike Messerli said...

Brandon,

AMEN brother! You are exactly right. A man or woman in love with God will accomplish far more than a man who thinks he 'gets it'. Awesome insight, and well said. Thanks. How are you guys doing? Is Jenny ok? I saw that she had a "procedure", is all well with you guys?

Brandon and Jenny said...

this is Jenny--All is well...I am just hungry! Thanks for asking.

I struggle so much with loving God with all my heart, mind, and soul and loving my neighbor because I love my self so much. I know in my head that I am a really sucky idol, but it just seems that I think of myself more often than anyone else. The only solution I have is when I make a conscious decision to find ways to serve those around me. That seems to get my mind off of me for a time at least. Thanks for the insight and encouragement!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

oh mike
how true, how true

I want to know this more and more and more and more and more and more.

Driving home from Zurich, after dropping St & Sh off, I was thinking over our time together. We spent much time with a new Israeli friend I met in my German class. He is a practicing Jew. As I thought about his preoccupation with DOING religion a huge emotion settled over me. I don't know exactly what emotion it was - gratitude I guess. To realize that He loved me just as I am, and to know that I need do anything. He wants me to snuggle with Him no matter how dirty I am, no matter whether I ate that pig for lunch, and when I 'look perfect' and only He and I know my ugliness - well, HE loves me. I love Him because He first loved me. What an amazing God to love the unlovable in us.

Heidi Day said...

Mike, we have ALWAYS looked forward to hearing from you. You are a blessing, you have depth, we see Jesus in you and and your wife. See you in the evening service!

Heidi

Pony and Petey said...

I'm looking forward to listening to your message online! Thanks for the many hours of study and preparation but most importantly, thanks for your obedience to God... we are blessed by it!

Unknown said...

I would rather fail and fall in the presence of my Father Who loves me and will lift me up again, than fall in the darkness and not know I am loved and blind to which direction I am to go.

I wonder at how few truly believe Romans 8 of "no condemnaiton" in Christ jesus.

Blessings,
iggy