Friday, January 19, 2007

Hanging on

I'm having one of those weeks.....just barely hanging on. I know it happens to all of us. I just wish the little birdies in my life would leave me alone. I have enough trouble of my own without others helping me fail.....don't you love the cats expression? He's doomed, and there isn't anything he can do but wait for the fall. It feels like that at times. Yesterday was a down day for me. I will hit days when the bottom falls out, when I am down, discouraged, depressed. I don't know why these days happen, but they do. Often, I find that there isn't really a reason for them. The "dark days" could follow a wonderful series of days, and then suddenly here it is...the bottomless pit! I have learned over the years that when I hit one of these days the best thing I can do is be quiet. It's a great time of prayer. It's at those times when I most love the Psalms, David's own journals as he dealt with his dark days. He was melancholy a lot, and had good reason to be, and his journals (Psalms) really are comfort for us who are just barely hanging on. Here's one that really helps me when I'm in the pit:


Psa 40:1 A David psalm. I waited and waited and waited for GOD. At last he looked; finally he listened.
Psa 40:2 He lifted me out of the ditch, pulled me from deep mud. He stood me up on a solid rock to make sure I wouldn't slip.
Psa 40:3 He taught me how to sing the latest God-song, a praise-song to our God. More and more people are seeing this: they enter the mystery, abandoning themselves to GOD.
Psa 40:4 Blessed are you who give yourselves over to GOD, turn your backs on the world's "sure thing," ignore what the world worships;
Psa 40:5 The world's a huge stockpile of GOD-wonders and God-thoughts. Nothing and no one comes close to you! I start talking about you, telling what I know, and quickly run out of words. Neither numbers nor words account for you.
Psa 40:6 Doing something for you, bringing something to you-- that's not what you're after. Being religious, acting pious-- that's not what you're asking for. You've opened my ears so I can listen.
Psa 40:7 So I answered, "I'm coming. I read in your letter what you wrote about me,
Psa 40:8 And I'm coming to the party you're throwing for me." That's when God's Word entered my life, became part of my very being.
Psa 40:9 I've preached you to the whole congregation, I've kept back nothing, GOD--you know that.
Psa 40:10 I didn't keep the news of your ways a secret, didn't keep it to myself. I told it all, how dependable you are, how thorough. I didn't hold back pieces of love and truth For myself alone. I told it all, let the congregation know the whole story.
Psa 40:11 Now GOD, don't hold out on me, don't hold back your passion. Your love and truth are all that keeps me together.
Psa 40:12 When troubles ganged up on me, a mob of sins past counting, I was so swamped by guilt I couldn't see my way clear. More guilt in my heart than hair on my head, so heavy the guilt that my heart gave out.
Psa 40:13 Soften up, GOD, and intervene; hurry and get me some help,
Psa 40:14 So those who are trying to kidnap my soul will be embarrassed and lose face, So anyone who gets a kick out of making me miserable will be heckled and disgraced,
Psa 40:15 So those who pray for my ruin will be booed and jeered without mercy.
Psa 40:16 But all who are hunting for you-- oh, let them sing and be happy. Let those who know what you're all about tell the world you're great and not quitting.
Psa 40:17 And me? I'm a mess. I'm nothing and have nothing: make something of me. You can do it; you've got what it takes-- but God, don't put it off. (The MESSAGE)

5 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

Yesterday was a HUGE down day for me! Maybe something in the weather or the time of year??? Next time I have one of those days, I'll think of you and remember to pray for you too! You are loved!!!!

stephanie said...

i hope your week improves with the weekend. i went through a down month recently. thanks for sharing something that has helped you. i will remember it.

Schweers' Mom said...

Prayed for you this morning after reading this. Hope your day improved. Hang on!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this i needed it.

Kathy said...

Hope this week is better, Mike. Glad you went where you did for comfort.