Thursday, June 22, 2017

Identity


I knew this was coming.  It always does in our lives.  We all struggle with it in one way or another.....who are we?  How do we identify ourselves? Is it what we do?  Where we live? Who we know? Where we've been?

"Who am I?" is a critical question when life changes.  If we don't have that clear, if we haven't established an identity apart from our circumstance then we are in for a crisis.  

I'm in the midst of looking once more at "who am I?"  It means going back to basics, staring once more at what God says about me and not what I do.  

Recently I asked a young man who was struggling with a problem in his life these two questions, I told him that his answers to these questions would define who he is and how he will live.  Now I find I am revisiting my questions to him.  Here they are:

1. Who are you?
and,
2. Whose are you?

I often say to others, "God's not as interested in what you do as he is in who you are...because who you are will determine what you do."  

Now to revisit my own advice to others....


No comments: