Saturday, March 05, 2016

The man who saw tomorrow

This week I was talking with another pastor about a passage she was working on for her next sermon.  It's a passage from Mark 13.  She had noticed in Jesus what she described as an awkwardness, but as I read it I saw something else entirely, something I had never noticed before.....here's the passage and my thoughts,

Mark 13:1 And as he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher, what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!” And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” And as he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?” And Jesus began to say to them, “See that no one leads you astray. Many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and they will lead many astray. And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. This must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. These are but the beginning of the birth pains.
I read the passage several times and suddenly saw something I had always missed....Jesus saw everything differently than his disciples! They saw a temple, a building, Jesus saw tomorrow.  They saw beauty, Jesus saw what would happen in the days ahead.  They saw today, he saw the future.
I'm sure it changed how he viewed everything.  As I read other passages after this it became clear that he always saw tomorrow, his vision was beyond the events of the day, beyond the moments and into eternity.  
When James and John came to Jesus with their mother to ask for the best seats in the kingdom he asked, "Can you drink the cup I will drink?"  And they replied, "Yes, we can."  He looked beyond them and replied, "Yes, you will."  He saw tomorrow.
This one we call Jesus, Messiah, and Lord is God.  As he walked through life on planet earth he lived in the present and in tomorrow at the same time.  Even his prayers speak of it.  This morning I read John 17 once more and it's all through this final prayer!
Ok, so what does it mean to me?  I serve a God who sees my tomorrows.  He loves me and knows what is ahead.  He is the ultimate "scout" for my path, my life...this one, this God who knows my tomorrows.  
When he looks at me he sees my tomorrows, my outcome, he sees a son, a dearly loved child who will be with him forever and he will guide me on the path of my tomorrows...because he already knows what's ahead.
And so he says to us, 
Matthew 6:31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
The one who sees tomorrow is my savior.  I can trust him for all that lies ahead, he's promised to take care of everything and in the days ahead I will be with him in his amazing Kingdom.  What a great hope!  
There was a man who saw tomorrow.  He is the Lord of glory and he's taking care of you.


No comments: