Friday, May 30, 2008

Choice, influence and God's word




Today I came to Psalm 1 in my reading. It's been my good friend for more than 40 years. I have read books on this Psalm, listened to sermons, and studied the passage.
.
The first 6 words of verse 1 are profound. David begins the whole book of Psalms with these words, "How blessed is the man who..." From these words he describes the power of choice, influence and God's word. All of these affect us and make us into who we are. In other words if I hang out with monkeys long enough I will start to act like one. (Don't even mention looking like one...I avoided that thought on purpose!) But don't forget his beginning. It's actually the end result of choice, influence and God's word. The author starts with the result and describes in brilliant colors the power of these 3 things to change our lives. Choice is important. I make the decision- where will I spend my time, but after I've made my choice other things happen that I have no choice over. Then we move into influence. Influence and peer pressure are big in our lives. They have more power than we realize. And finally David talks about the work of God's word in a life. The language and picture of a tree by streams is beautifully clear to the readers who knew what this looked like. In that same way the results of a life invested in God's word looks like that flourishing tree drawing on those streams of water in the arid desert.
.
It's a powerful Psalm. It still inspires me each time I read it. Take a slow walk through these 6 magnificent verses. The instruction of these verses is life changing!
.
Psa 1:1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
Psa 1:3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.
Psa 1:4 The wicked are not so, But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Psa 1:5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
Psa 1:6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish.

No comments: