Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Burdens


It's amazing what we will carry with us through life. John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" spoke to this very thing in the life of the main character of his story. Things have not changed over the years. We are still people who insist on carrying burdens and carrying them for years- the wounds of childhood, the words of a friend, the abuse of an adult, the sins of another that have affected us, the hurts of someone we loved...the list goes on for pages because the burdens accumulate in our lives.....and we carry them with us. Some of them we carry for years. I met with a person today who has been carrying a burden for decades and it's affected every part of their life. The burden this person carries was thrown on them by someone else, and yet it affects them today. This sin stained world isn't the way it was designed. It wasn't meant to be this way. God designed this world and called all that he made good, but then sin changed it all. Now we find men and women all around us bent under the weight of burdens that crush their lives. I long for the day when all of this will be as God designed it, but for now there is a remedy....it's a simple one I have mentioned before, but in light of my visits today I want to mention it once more. It's an offer from the burden lifter to relieve us of our loads. The cost of the transaction is free, but the benefits are life changing. Here's the invitation for those of you carrying loads you were never meant to bear:
.
Mat 11:28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
Mat 11:30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Jesus

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Mike, I know you and Joye like books as much as I do. I found an interesting blogger that reviews many Christian books and I thought you might like it, too. I don't know this blogger personally, but his name came up on Sandra Glahn's blog (not sure if you know her or not - she's written the Coffee Cup Bible studies that are very good) and his name also came up on Amazon as one of the more popular book reviewers.
http://www.challies.com/

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

thanks, I will look at his site.