Wednesday, May 13, 2009

10 Reasons I Don’t Like Most Christians

(Here's a post from Tony Morgan's site. I thought his list was worthy of discussion. Agree? Disagree?)
...
1. They consistently seem angry and bitter and worried. I thought Christians were supposed to reflect joy and kindness and peace.
2. They don’t dream big dreams. That seems odd given the fact that we’re supposedly worshiping a God who is “able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare ask or hope.”
3. They seem to worship their theology more than Jesus. For whatever reason, this appears to be especially true for folks that come from a reformed theology.
4. They don’t like it when other people or ministries experience success. Think about it. There are Christians who would be overwhelmed with joy if NewSpring experienced fewer salvations, fewer baptisms and our attendance dropped.
5. They use prayer as an excuse for inaction. They’re waiting for God to do his thing, but they aren’t willing to step out in faith and obedience.
6. They’re more concerned with the BMW next door than the lost person who drives it. Christians hate people with money. They’re willing to sacrifice time and money for those without it, but they’re satisfied to let “rich” people go to Hell.
7. They would rather people live life without Jesus than give up their personal preferences. What happens when your preferred teacher doesn’t teach? What happens when your preferred worship leader doesn’t lead? What happens when you don’t like the music?
8. They are fake. They dress up a certain way on Sunday and they live as completely different people the rest of the week.
9. They think they’re better than other people. That’s why they create rules to follow. It helps differentiate why they are holy while others are not.
10. They’re comfortable with mediocrity. Doesn’t matter where. Think Christian music and movies. Think how we invest our time and money. You don’t seriously think God deserves our best do you?
...
Read more: http://tonymorganlive.com/2008/12/04/10-reasons-i-dont-like-most-christians/#ixzz0FLg9KMXB&B

8 comments:

Barry said...

I think there's definitely some truth to each of those points - especially #5, but still I'm actually getting tired of seeing these kinds of "pot shots" from within the church. It seems like this sort of thing has become very fashionable. Isn't it kind of arrogant to claim, for instance, to know whether somebody is worshiping their theology more than Jesus?

Mike Messerli said...

Barry, I agree with your comments, but since the article was written by a Christian I thought it would be a good topic to discuss. Thanks, and I agree with your pot shots comment.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I am generally inclined to think the same way as Tony. I find that these people that he mentioned are the type that non-believers don't get, don't like and want nothing to do with. They make it harder for those who do walk the walk, and do give their best and try to not be condemning (from that arrogant perspective) to show others that not all Christians (or those on the *religious right* as the MSM refers to them) lack the ability to show grace.

Brandon and Jenny said...

I didn't know the author was a believer. It would be better, Barry, from the 'outside'. I agree the pot shots are silly and unproductive.

Some of those are true, though not universal by any means. Number one is certainly true. Christians should be the happiest people on the planet.

And many do worship theology more than Jesus. Or at lease they seem to love and study theological literature as opposed to the Bible. I have known several. You can see that because they talk more about reformed theology than the Lord and they argue non-core issues and seem to care less about people than that those people have correct doctrine. Correct doctrine is paramount. But not all reformed theology is correct. There, I said it. I think the Calvinists and the Arminianists ought to go serve the poor, the hurting and the lost...together, and see what happens. They might loosen up a little.

I don't hate people with money. I actually wish they would give more of it away, but I don't hate them.

I honestly can't imagine a Christian being overjoyed if a church was failing. Or the flip side, being distraught with another churches success. Jealous, sure, but I think that's a small percentage. Could be wrong there, I've just never experienced that.

I just don't think they guy will get very far. You don't reach angry people by poking them with a stick.

Mike Messerli said...

Great comments! Brandon, I love your comment about pokin' them with a stick. We do tend to do that, don't we? Great comments everyone, thanks. I wish such a list was never a way to describe the church, but sadly, as some of you have said, there is some truth here.

SM said...

How sad! Truly, truly sad. I thought the guy that wrote this was a non-christian! I am concerned for his happiness. He has a tough job, and maybe he needs a vacation.
I have to disagree with several of his points. I don't like the music at my church, but I'm still there. It's a family, and I am not going to run away from home just because things aren't as I think they should be. I am not concerned with the type of car that my neighbor drives, and I AM concerned with his salvation. (I am even more concerned with the heart atttitudes of some of the "Beemer Christians".)

I could go on, but my point is that I just wish that he wouldn't judge all Christians in the same manner. There is a huge spiritual war raging inside of me, so I apologize for not looking and acting perfect on the outside.

Mike Messerli said...

SM,

can I help? sorry this touched a tender spot with the war you are facing already. is there anything I can do?

Schweers' Mom said...

I love my BMW, but I love the lost, too. But I know I don't love the lost as much as Christ. I hope that I show others I'm not perfect, but working at a relationship with Christ is most important to me.

I guess I'm just curious why it seems everyone expects the church to look so perfect or act so perfect? Maybe we just aren't communicating grace very well to each other - Believer or not.