Thursday, May 07, 2009

Moving targets



"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target."
...
I really like this quote. It speaks clearly to where we are in our culture today. We are living in a "shot based" culture rather than a "target based" culture. We base our lives on where we shoot and then declare boldly "I meant to do that!" rather than establish a target and sharpen our skills at hitting it. It's this way in much of the thinking in our culture today. It's where we shoot that's important, not the target. In fact, the claim of culture today is that there is no one target. Anything you hit is the target, and so everyone is right and an amazing shot as well! How dare you claim they missed the target, they would protest, there is no one target that everyone must hit....and so our culture finds itself masters at shooting at nothing and hitting it every time. This is a perfect analogy for what culture has done with truth today. Everyone is a master marksman at shooting at the target of truth and hitting it every time. The problem is that each one would add this to their declaration, "that may be your target, but it's not mine." Truth falls to the whim of the shooter and the target is whatever they hit. Let me finish with a rewrite of something Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one hits a bullseye apart from me."

1 comment:

Heidi Day said...

I'm going to print this post and have a discussion with my children on this. I bet it will be rich.