Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Encouragement


Heb 3:13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
One of the realities that I am keenly aware of is that I cannot live the Christian life in a vacuum. It is a life that must be done in community. I need other people....both to encourage me, and for me to encourage.
I'm in a community of believers that has been strengthened and challenged by adversity, but I am still amazed at those "sheep" I meet who have wandered off from our church family, and blame someone else for their isolation. THEY were the ones who left the body, and yet they blame someone else? What this tells me is that they have allowed sin to harden their hearts, and they blame others for their loneliness and isolation from the body of Christ....it's very sad to see.
We need to encourage others to "keep going", "don't give up", "trust the Lord", "I'm with you." The tendency to wander off and harden our hearts is more common than most of us realize, so, in your own life, look for ways to encourage others in their faith, encourage them to stay involved in the fellowship of other believers. We all need the love and encouragement of others. We are in this together. So, let me encourage you- don't give up, trust the Lord and keep going, God will help you and so will the body of Christ...don't wander off from the fold.

1Th 5:14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.

1 comment:

cookiehawk77 said...

I pray that our body will be one where it is hard to "get lost in the crowd". Those on the fringes are often lonely and hurting and need the embrace of fellowship in Christ. It's so easy to stay in our comfortable circle of friends we have known forever. And easy to forget that once we were on the outside looking in. May God open my eyes to those around me who need someone to gently draw them in and the wisdom to know how best to do that.