Monday, July 09, 2007

A scientific theory

We just got back from a week in Colorado, and had a great time. One of the things I was looking forward to was our ride through Rocky Mountain National Park. We were told by our friends that we would see antelope, possibly moose, deer, black bears, and mountain goats. They must have all been on vacation to Yellowstone because we saw nothing!

So, as silly as it sounds I have applied the scientific method and concluded, by my experience, that there is no wildlife in Rocky Mountain National Park. It's all a hoax to get tourists to come to the park, spend twenty dollars and drive through the park looking for wildlife. According to the scientific method I have proven conclusively that there are no wild animals in this national park, so don't waste your time....I have looked, and there's nothing there.

Except for one animal which we saw everywhere....by my own observation this is the only wildlife in Colorado, and here it is:



Of course this is silly. Many other people have gone to these same parks and seen all the animals we missed, but isn't this same point clear regarding God himself? Our arrogance to declare that God does not exist because we haven't seen him, or what we consider proof of him? How arrogant of us to assume we know enough or can see far enough to know our experience is valid.

I thought my own experience in Colorado spoke clearly to this same conclusion drawn by those who say there is no God. It's just as silly as me saying there is no wildlife in Colorado...just because I haven't seen it....doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'll just have to go back another time.

God is alive and well, and able to be "seen" by those who look. My one trip through an empty park proves nothing....the animals are there somewhere, we just didn't see them. And God is there....my limited experience and lack of vision does not prove he doesn't exist, it simply proves that I didn't see the God who is there.....I just need to look again.

I hope you don't mind my humorous attempt to connect my experience with what others do to God....it was just something that seemed to fit as we rode through the park. I hope it makes you think, and puts a smile on your face. And to all those animals who were hiding from us...I'll be back...I'll find you...I know you're there somewhere!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello!

visit this blog:

Andre Benjamim

Cheri said...

Hi Mike,

I have proof they existed in 1981-1985. Elk I mean.

I graduated from Estes Park High School in 1985 and every year the Elk used to congregate on our football field, it seems our grounds people planted a particuarily tasty variety of grass. :) It didn't hurt that it was also much easier to eat then making your way through a punch of pine trees. Not sure what they thought of the taste of field chalk. Our band director and football players would have to shoo them off so we could have marching band practice. I have pictures. Really I do. :)

One of God's greatest gifts to me ever was my four years of high school in Estes Park. I learned about the majesty of God in those years. I never took forgranted the sights of that beautiful place. I miss it to this day. So glad you two got to enjoy it with friends. Thanks for taking me back to a very fun memory.

See you at church sometime soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry you missed all the wildlife! This is usually a great place to see many varities besides the chipmunks that seem to invade every rest stop! :) This is one of our families favorite places that we've ever been and I've been fortunate enough to go twice. The best displays we saw were always near sunset. Nonetheless it is a BEAUTIFUL place!!

cookiehawk77 said...

I must agree with the inanity of people's reasoning that God does not exist based solely on their limited experience. However, I have to argue with calling that type of reasoning scientific or logical. Regardless, I'm sorry you missed the larger wildlife.

We saw some buffalo, longhorns, prairie dogs, "Boomer" lizards, and millipedes on our free trek through the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. The big animals are kept in with fences and cattle guards, though.