Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I believe


“I believe”….these are words filled with content. They imply that I have made some choices about faith, life and eternity. It’s easy for the skeptic to jeer from the bleachers at those of us of faith, but to be a person of faith gives me a great place to rest and view the world around me. “I believe” means I have made some choices….I have chosen to trust someone or something. Here are a few of the things I believe-

I believe there is one God in three persons- Father, Son and Holy Spirit, maker of heaven and earth.
I believe the bible is the word of God, inspired and preserved by God, and without errors, conflicts or defects.
I believe Jesus Christ is God, come in flesh to provide salvation for the human race.
I believe there is salvation in no one else other than Christ…there is no other name in heaven or earth that will provide salvation for mankind.
I believe he really did die on a cross to pay my sin debt, and faith in him and his sacrifice will provide eternal salvation.
I really do believe in heaven and hell.
I believe that God actually did make the heavens and earth in 6 days.
I believe in Noah and the ark, Jonah and the whale, and all the other stories of the bible…I believe these people really existed and I look forward to meeting them some day.
I believe that God is who he says he is…he is sovereign, Lord of heaven and earth, the only God.
I believe that God loves the human race, and desires that all men be saved.
I believe there are angels, demons and the devil just because the bible says so.
I believe……

There is so much more, but let me stop here. What I want to say clearly is that I have made some choices….I believe the bible. I believe it’s all true. I have staked my eternity on it, and do it with great joy. I have a sure hope, and look forward to seeing God face to face.

Now, I know that when any of us takes a position of faith we become a target for those who disagree. But to make a stand is so important, to know what you believe and why is vital for each of us….where do you stand? Do you have a list of “I believe” for your life? Are you bold enough to share them? Are they important enough to change your life and eternity?

What do you believe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe these things too. These things are fantastic; the stuff from which fairytales are made. I have been reading Chesterton's Orthodoxy and it makes so much sense that I should be excited by the fantastic. The Fantastic has made me. And, I believe that we have been made for a different place. Romans 8:18.

Brandon and Jenny said...

You know, I just started reading the book, "This we believe" and it's so vital not just that we agree but that we actually BELIEVE.

I believe TOO, brother.

Mike Messerli said...

Brandon, look in the back. You will be surprised who one of the signees is....