Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Grand Quest


Four men met in a bar one late afternoon for drinks and time to reflect after a tough day at work.  They were each successful in their fields but none were happy, fulfilled or satisfied with where they were in life. After a couple drinks the discussion became a bit more serious and they talked of what is most important, what really matters.

Quickly they discovered each disagreed with his friends on what was the most important thing in life and so they decided on a quest.  Each would pursue the thing they thought most important, the thing they valued above all.

The first declared, "My quest is for wisdom.  There can't be anything higher!  If I can attain that I will have succeeded and found meaning for my life. If I have wisdom I can help change the world and make it a better place."

The second reflected for a moment and said, "I think, for me, the quest is for power.  If I can become someone in authority, someone who can change the course of world events I will have succeeded and found real meaning.  My quest is for power."

The third smiled and said, "Gentlemen, if I had money I could buy all of those things!  I'm after money.  If I had money I could change the course of history, help millions and really make a difference.  That's my quest."

The fourth was silent for a while and soon the other three looked to him for his reply, what was he going to pursue?  Slowly he began, "You know, all of those goals can make a difference and I wish you each success, but I think what I most want is to find God.  I know, it sounds so selfish that my quest is for me, but I really don't know why I'm here and yet I know I'm not here by accident.  My quest is to find and know God.  If I can do that I think I too can make a difference."

And so the four shook hands, downed their drinks and began the quest, the grand quest for the thing that would change everything. In the years that followed they would meet often to compare notes.  Their stories and successes would fill volumes for indeed they each achieved their quest, each reached the mountaintop they were climbing, but the final commentary comes from another source, another who watched the lives and quests they pursued.  Here is his commentary on the quest and perhaps it will help you as you decide what is most important in your life.



“Thus says the Lord, “Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches;  but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,” declares the Lord.  Jeremiah 9


1 comment:

nufreeotm said...

That was awesome! Thank you for sharing Mike!