Sunday, August 27, 2017

Settling for less

I wonder how often I settle for less than God wanted to give.  I wonder how much I have missed of God's provision because I want so little or simply want less than he had planned to give me.

I wonder that because of a passage in Acts 3 I read this morning.  I wonder that about my own life as I watch a man looking for a hand out who got more than he ever imagined.

Here is part of his story,


One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon.  Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts.  When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money.  Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!”  So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong.  He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.

How often I settle for less than God wanted to give.  As I read this story I imagine myself the beggar looking for a few coins, a few pennies to buy food and Peter stops to give me something from God I never had, never imagined I could have.  This man had been lame from birth.  He never knew the feeling of his legs under him, carrying him, of running, going anywhere he wished.  He had never walked!  But now, in a moment, he is on his feet...feet that were completely new and restored...and he was walking, leaping, running!  I imagine he threw the few coins in his purse in the air in celebration.  I can almost hear his laughter, his praise, his joy at walking for the first time.

He never imagined he would ever walk but now he's leaping!

How often and easily we settle for less than God wants for us. 

I wonder....why do we settle for a few coins when God offers us life?

Why do we look for things instead of HIM?  Often, in my own life, I have found that God had much more planned for me than I could have ever imagined.  I so regret settling for less, for settling for things instead of seeking him.


No comments: