Thursday, May 14, 2015

One thing

It's easy to get confused, isn't it?  We are so busy with so many things.  All around us there is noise and activity trying to grab our attention and time.  

For me, as I think about life and the distractions, it is very difficult to keep my eyes on the most important things.  

As I read the end of the book of Revelation this morning I noticed this same thing happened to John.  He was overwhelmed with visions of future things, words to write down, questions to answer, fears to deal with.  It must have been overwhelming at the least.

At the end of the book is this encounter,


"I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me.  But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”



With all that was happening around him John got his eyes on the wrong one, the wrong thing, and this angel quickly refocuses him on the one thing he most needed to do....worship God.


There are hundreds of things we can "bow down to" in our days, things to capture our passions, our time, our attention and ultimately our worship, but at the end of the bible one angel, with just two words, refocuses us on the one thing that is most important.


Worship God!


Have you found your passions, your time, your attention focused on the wrong things?  Have you found yourself worshipping, even if unintended, something other than God?  Take some time and brush away all the distractions.  Focus your attentions and time on just one thing- worship God.  



And when you do, everything else will find it's proper place.




No comments: