Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Escape...





"I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest."  -Psalm 55



You've wanted to do it, haven't you?  

You have thought about it I'm sure.  

We all have.  

If only I could fly away, get away, escape from this job, run away from this health scare, flee from the verbal abuse....

....oh that I had the wings of a dove and could fly away and be at rest.  David understood.  He went through it as well.  The desire to escape our difficult days is strong.  We can't always fix or change our situation and when that happens escape is our normal response.

But although he felt that way, just as we do at times, he chose a different response.  Here's what David did when the desire to escape was at the strongest,


As for me, I call to God,

    and the Lord saves me.

Evening, morning and noon
    I cry out in distress,
    and he hears my voice.
 
He rescues me unharmed
    from the battle waged against me,
    even though many oppose me....
 


Cast your cares on the Lord

    and he will sustain you;
he will never let
    the righteous be shaken.
 
...as for me, I trust in you.

We think, "If only I could escape..." but you can't.  So what can you do?  You can trust the one who by his very nature is our fortress, our refuge, our escape from trouble...even as we live in the midst of it.

Escape? That's not the answer.  How will you see God's work in your life if you simply run away? Stay, trust God, cast your cares on him and watch....you will see what God will do in the midst of your storm.  

"As for me, I trust in God!"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good read Mike! I have finally learned that there are many reasons in this world making us wish to run away from them....but now I know that it does no good to wish to walk out of the furnace...especially when he is in the furnace with us..

Schweers' Mom said...

David's verse(if I had wings,,,) comes to mind frequently. I've always loved that David was so honest about how he felt, yet so realistic about what the solution needed to be...turn to God and wait for Him. I' so glad that despite David's human mistakes, God gave him such a voice in the Bible. His words are always a great comfort to me. Thanks for sharing.