Friday, March 29, 2013

The gift


"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."  -John
I read a cute dialogue about Good Friday that captured the heart of the day,

George:  I don't understand why they call this day "good".

Bill: If you were scheduled to die on this day and someone offered to take your place what would you call that?

George: Good!

Bill: Have a nice day......

For me this is a day of mixed feelings.  I'm sad to think back on what Jesus went through on the cross, but I'm glad for the results in my life and my eternity.  I sorrow over the pain I caused him, but celebrate the life it gave me.  It is a day of mixed feelings, but at the heart of it all is a celebration of the greatest gift ever given.  And what's most fascinating is that the giver was God himself!  He gave his best to remedy my worst.  He loved me when I had no interest in him, was actually his enemy.  He reached out as I walked away.  What an amazing love!

It is, without doubt, the greatest gift ever given and today I remember and rejoice!



No comments: