Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Press on!

We were at a snow cone shop yesterday enjoying some cool drinks with the grandson when in the store comes a flock of teenage girls. I don't know how else to describe it, but a flock is the right word for my thoughts. As I watched them I noticed on of the girls had a t-shirt that had written on the back, "Press on!" Below those two words was this reference: Hosea 6:1-3. I'm very familiar with Hosea 6:6, but I didn't have verses 1-3 clearly in my mind. I looked up the verses last night and here is what this passage says,
...
1"Come, let us return to the LORD
For He has torn us, but He will heal us;
He has wounded us, but He will bandage us.
2"He will revive us after two days;
He will raise us up on the third day,
That we may live before Him.
3"So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD
His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
And He will come to us like the rain,
Like the spring rain watering the earth."
...
So, let us know, let us PRESS ON to know the Lord. Press on to know the Lord....what an interesting phrase. There are several things that come to my thoughts immediately, 1. There is something I must do, 2. It will take some effort and intentionality, and 3. It is possible to know the Lord, he invites such a press on our part. God wants to be known by his creation! That reality is thrilling to me. I can choose to pursue him, to know him. Knowing God is available, it's desirable, and God invites it, but it will take some work. Is it worth it? YES! Without question the most important relationship any man or woman will every have is the one we have with God. It changes everything!
..
So, let us press on to know the Lord! You will never regret the quest.
...

2 comments:

Colleen Nunn said...

Thank you for this post MIke! You have no idea what it means to me! This is the 3rd time I have seen this passage referenced in Hosea in as many days. Colleen

Mike Messerli said...

Colleen,

Three times in three days? Then I guess this post was meant for you! I wondered why I wrote it. It's wonderful to see how God works. Thanks for the note. I have been praying for Chelsea.