Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Temple worship



There's an amazing passage in the bible that has challenged me for years. It's also a passage I have used in counseling many times. This passage is God's description of proper temple worship.
...
You might respond to my thoughts, "but there is no temple, what are you talking about?"
...
Here's the passage I wanted to talk about and then a few thoughts,
...
1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
...
What Paul is describing is the new reality for the Christian that God no longer "lives" in a temple made by man, but now resides in his people. The proper response for us has three elements to it, 1. A realization that we are God's dwelling place, 2. An understanding that a price has been paid and I am no longer my own, I now belong to God, and 3. Because of 1 & 2 my proper response is to honor (or glorify) God with my body. My response is how I live, what I do, what I say, how I act and live out this Christian life. Temple worship means that true worship for the Christian is living a life that glories God with my life, my words and my actions. It's a strange new reality that I am now the temple invited to live in such a way that I make God look good. How I live, what I say, how I act matters because it's a direct reflection on the God who dwells in me. It makes a lot of my choices much different and much easier. If I ever understand who I am, what I am, then how I live would be dramatically different.....and God would look good to the world around me.
...
There is one added element to this I must mention before we leave this topic. Not only am I now described as God's new temple, but his Spirit lives in me to give me the resources I need to live this life, to be his temple. It's the Spirit in me that gives me life and all I need to glorify God as I live out the day ahead. Being the living temple of God changes a lot about how I live out each new day. You are not your own, you were bought with a price, THEREFORE glorify God with your body.
...

No comments: