Thursday, September 07, 2017

Amazing love


"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, 
in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8

I meet twice a month with a group of men and study the bible.  We often will read a passage and then sit in silence as we look at the words, think about the impact and try to unpack this amazing book. These are all old mature men of God with a combined faith of several hundred years, but with all that knowledge and wisdom there are often times of long silence as we gaze at the amazing words of God.

This is one of those passages that brought silence.

When we were at our worse the love of God was demonstrated. When we hated God the most he loved us anyway.
When we wanted nothing to do with him he reached out in love and gave his life to save us.

For a Christian this is common knowledge, but rarely understood. The depth and breadth of God's love for us is much more than we can possibly imagine.  

It should bring us to silence and amazement as we watch the love of God poured out when we were his enemies, sinners, aliens from God wanting nothing to do with him.

As we read these words in Romans 5 I found myself unable to understand how big this really is.  In fact, even this morning I'm still not sure how to wrap my mind and words around it.

I think I will allow this amazing love of God to keep me in silence for a bit longer.  

How wonderful is this God we worship!  How amazing is his love that when I was at my worse his love was poured out.

The cross is the ultimate declaration that God loves us and it's more than you can possibly imagine!




No comments: