Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Searching for peace

These are amazing and difficult days.  The world around us is changing daily.  Governments topple, wars break out, chaos seems to be waiting for us every morning when we wake.  For a world trying to simply find peace it seems we are missing something.

We all want peace.  Peace of mind, peace of heart, peace with others, peace in our marriages, peace in our country, our world.  The cry rings out, "Can't we all just get along?"

Searching for peace is a frustrating quest for this race of men.  We think if we had the right leader peace would come, but it doesn't. 

We search for peace but it eludes us.  How can we find this thing we all want so badly?  How can we discover peace in our lives?  

Where is it?

Here are two verses that offer insight into the problem and its solution, 

“There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.” Isaiah 48:22

and,

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"  Romans 5:1

I was surprised by these two verses and the contrast they present.  Peace is not possible with others until I have it with God.  I must settle accounts with Him or I will never find peace with those around me. 

It begins with him.  Until I'm willing to sign God's peace treaty written in the blood of Christ I will never have peace, never.

And if I can't find peace internally I will never have it as I live out my life with others.  

We live in a world filled with violence, trouble, anger, and fear.  We live in a world without peace because we refuse to sign God's peace treaty for our own lives....so how can we extend peace to others?

Searching for peace?  Looking for that calm that comes when all is right with you and the world?  God has made that possible, but it's only possible by trusting Christ and making peace with the one who made you.  

Until we do that we will never find peace.

No comments: