Monday, November 24, 2014

So many worries, so little time!

There is so much to worry about how will I ever get it all done?

As I watch the news, read the paper and interact with those around me my list of things to worry about grows beyond the time I have to worry about them all! 

That worries me.

We have hundreds of cute little mottos and slogans to deal with worry, but they really don't resolve the subtle fear that drives worry in each of us.  First it's bad news, then fears arise and worry follows.  The seed of a bad word, a troubling event, impending war give fear all it needs to conceive almost anything...and it does! And then we really have something to worry about!

But what I have found, just as you have, is that the worries birthed from our fears rarely ever change our lives for the better.  

To be honest I am hesitant to address this topic again, I worry I have visited it too often (smiling as I write that), but I see a world rapidly offering our fears much more to work with.  And yet our fears really need very little to grow into worries of all kinds.  

The fear of what might be creates worries that even the best fiction writer can't duplicate.  This morning, after reading the paper and visiting news sites, I feel those fears working....cultivating a crop of worry that will produce fruit and keep me busy all day, but I know better.  I know I can't let that crop grow.  Worry never produces fruit that gives life, but only something that feeds death and so I run back to God for his word on the fears that grow into worries and I read what Jesus told his disciples and us.

Jesus said it, but it's woven all through scripture...every time an angel shows up, every time God has to calm a prophet, every time we think our world is out of our control....and it always is out of our control by the way...we fear, worry and panic....and to those emotions Jesus says this,

"...do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."  
The question I have to answer is a very simple one- Is there a God in charge or not?  If the answer is "yes" then fears can be dealt with, worries can be calmed.  But if the answer is "no", there is no God in charge, then worry away!  All is lost, we are doomed!
 I'm so thankful that I know and believe in a God who is king of everything, fully in charge...even when it seems all is falling apart around me.  I often run to a verse that has comforted me many times. It's a brief verse in Psalms where David writes these words,

The Lord sat as King at the flood;
Yes, the Lord sits as King forever! Ps. 29:10





No comments: