Monday, November 10, 2014

Our help....

These are interesting days.  Days of fear, worry, unstable governments, fragile economies.  These are days that magnify the fears we all struggle to overcome.  

In one short verse, one short sentence, David deals with all of this.  Here are his words,

"Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalms 124:8

David often looks to the heavens for his inspiration.  In many passages David tells us his trust is based on a God "who made heaven and earth."  That one fact gives us a constant visual illustration of God's ability to meet our needs.

If God can make heaven and earth, then he can meet my needs.

If God can make heaven and earth, then he can help me with my problems.

If God can make heaven and earth, then he can heal my marriage.

If God can make heaven and earth, then he can give me peace in the midst of chaos.

If God can make heaven and earth, then he can calm my fears.


If God can make heaven and earth, then he can.....

The reminder of what God can do is all around us.  Just look up at the stars, look around at the creation, look at what he has done...if he can do THAT then he can meet my needs.

"Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth."  That insight is a great help for any problem you face.  If God can make heaven and earth, then he can help me!

But our world is trying its best to undermine the very foundation of our faith with a "science" that says it all just happened, just evolved, it didn't have a creator.  At the heart of modern science is the desire to explain everything we see without a God who made it. And, with that goal in mind it also undermines the source of our help.


Here's what I mean-  if God didn't make everything then how can I trust him to help me?  If he didn't make the heavens and the earth then how do I know he has the ability to meet my needs, to heal my wounds, to answer my prayers?  

Without a God who made heaven and earth I have no help I can trust, I have no one who I KNOW is able to meet my needs.  I'm left, like the world around me, in despair with no assurance of anything.  

What David wrote in this short verse in Psalms is profound.  I DO have someone who can help and it's the same one who made heaven and earth!  Because he made everything, because of his great power to do that,  I have someone who can really help me.  I have someone I can go to who can answer my prayers.  If God didn't make heaven and earth then all is lost, but....

"Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalms 124:8

No comments: