Monday, July 26, 2010

Last words




Last words are important. The last thing someone says is what he wants you to remember as you separate. We often record the last words of famous people. The last words spoken before they are silenced by the grave.

Here are a few last words, I wish time allowed for more-

-Paul Claudel (1868-1955) "Doctor, do you think it could have been the sausage?"

-Grover Cleveland (1837-1908) "I have tried so hard to do the right."

-Karl Marx (1818-1883) "Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."

-Winston Churchill "Everything is so boring."

-Joan Crawford "Damn it! Don't you dare ask God to help me!"

-John Newton (1725-1807) "I am still in the land of the dying; I shall be in the land of the living soon."

-Polycarp (70-168) "Eighty and six years have I now served Christ, and he has never done me the least wrong: How then can I blaspheme my King and my Savior?"

Last words. It's a last chance to share our hearts, our thoughts with those we care about. It's our last chance to praise or rage against the God who made us. This morning I read the last words of Peter, the apostle, and they have challenged me and addressed two things he wanted to share before he died. Here are Peter's last words-

"Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen."

Here are the two things Peter left us, his last words,

1. Stay on the path. You will always have to watch out for error and lawless men.

2. Keep growing. You will need to keep growing until you meet the Lord face to face.

Peter asked only two things of us and both of them involve the bible.

Watch out for errors and keep growing.

What simple last words. What a reality check. These two things are necessary for us until the day we too die. We will always have to stay on the path (watch our doctrine) and we will always need to grow. You never arrive, but are always on the way. You never fully mature, but are constantly growing. You never are above error, you will have to watch out for error and evil men all along your trip. What simply things to leave us with. What profound admonitions. In today's language we would say it this way,

Stay on the path and keep climbing.

You're not there yet!

...

5 comments:

Mike McM said...

Is this a verse for us "once saved always saved", to live in such a way, that if we are wrong about the first, it will not make any difference?

Mike Messerli said...

Mike, I'm not sure I understand your point. Would you elaborate a little more?

Mike McM said...

The Quote from Peter "Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen"
I was refering to "and fall from your secure position." This is not a verse old baptist trained people like to quote!

Mike Messerli said...

Oh, I got you now. My first question to anyone looking at this passage would be this, what does he mean by that? Is he refering to salvation (I don't think so), or is he refering to a confidence in our position in Christ (I think this is what he's talking about.) Great question on your part. And yes, our Baptist brothers would cringe at that statement by Peter. :)

Cammie Novara said...

"We often record the last words of famous people. The last words spoken before they are silenced by the grave." I completely agree with that.