Thursday, January 02, 2014

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity....

Every year, on the first day of a new year, I do something to start my year, to help me focus....I read Ecclesiastes.  It is a great reality check for a new year.  

Solomon wrote this book (many think) later in his life, after his sins of idolatry, and these final words are his closing words of wisdom for the world to follow.  Each year, as I read this book, it challenges me for the new year and helps me focus on the main things.

I love the portion of the book where he writes, "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God."

Here's the main thing for Solomon as he finishes the book:  "The end of the matter, after all has been heard, is this: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil."

Sobering words, aren't they?  In these final two verses Solomon summarizes the whole book with these truths: 1. There is a sovereign God, 2. You will answer to him one day so, 3. Fear God, keep his commandments and live well. 

Personally, I think I'm a pessimist, just as Solomon is in this book, but I also see the great wisdom he offers to put everything in perspective....don't think too much of yourself, you will die one day.  Don't take criticism personally, remember how you criticized others.

If you haven't taken the time to read this book in one sitting may I suggest you try it this year?  I think you will be surprised at what you see.

No comments: