Saturday, January 18, 2014

Slowing my pace



I live in a culture that moves much too quickly to have a healthy relationship with God or with others.  We move at speeds that makes intimacy with God or others unrealistic, time to think "wasteful" and time to pray impossible.

We are moving much too quickly to have a healthy relationship with God or the others around us.  We all run at full speed with noise all around so we never stop to think, "What am I doing?"  

God says, "Be still, stop, shut up, be quiet, rest for a bit and know that I am God."  In the absence of this stillness, this rest, a time of quiet, our nerves become raw, our fears grow, our faith wanes, and we exhaust ourselves in an attempt to be happy and "have it all"....and in our attempt to live as the world around us we lose God, lose sleep and lose peace.

This year, as another rat in the crazy maze we live in, I'm going to slow my pace, find times for quiet, turn off the noise, rest instead of rush and see what happens as I intentionally slow down.  In the frantic pace of the world around us we lose so much.  What if, what if all we want comes not in the frenzy of the world's pace, but in the silence of God's presence?


No comments: