Sunday, September 01, 2013

Be still...


There is a verse that has comforted me and many more for centuries, but until this week I completely missed the main idea of the verse!

Suddenly, as I read it, I realized I had completely missed it.  Here is the portion of the verse that I had focused on,


“Be still, and know that I am God"

In translator notes it says that "be still" means to hush, be quiet, rest...but I never fully got the conclusion and honestly we do that when we don't look at a wonderful passage in context.  Here's the rest of the verse and the reason I can be still,

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;

    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

As I read the entire verse I suddenly realized that the only reason I can be still is because of the part of the verse I had left out!  In the second and third lines God says "I will" and then explains what he will do.  God is saying, "relax, I've got this.  I WILL be exalted, I'm going to take care of it.  You don't need to do it, you don't need to make it  happen, you can relax....I will be exalted in the earth."  

Suddenly I breathed a sigh of relief. I've been trying to do so much of God's job for him and suddenly he comes to my side and say, "here, sit down for a bit, you've been trying to do my job and you're not able.  I'll do it.  Relax, be still.  I will do it."  And with that declaration God steps into the affairs of men and makes himself great and glorious.

Be still.  Why?  God is in charge.  Be still. How? Look to him. He is the sovereign. He has a plan and he's fully able to accomplish it.  All  you are asked to do is rest in him, be still.

I love that.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

I wish I were better at being still. Thanks for these words. I've never thought much about the "rest" of that passage either. What a wonderful way to look at it through God's promise. Thanks, Mike.