Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Perspective

Photo by Mohammadreza Momeni 

Perspective is a wonderful thing!  In the midst of our lives in a place of plenty we easily forget how blessed we really are, how much we have even when we think we don't have enough.  All it takes is a dramatic change of vision and reality from another place.

When I travel to third world countries my vision is once more corrected to reality, but living in the part of the world I do it's easy to become near sighted, blind to how blessed we are.  It's easy to forget and complain.  

One of my favorite stories in the bible is the odyssey of the Jewish people as they wander through the wilderness and complain all the way.  Their perspective was clouded by "the good old days" in Egypt when they were slaves.  Their complaining is only exceeded by my own.  Their lack of contentment in the midst of God's provision is revealing about the heart of each of us.

Perspective....it's good, but often convicting.  The challenge is to be content in the provision of God, whatever that might be in the moment.  Whether little or much it is God who provides and if all is lost it is still God who will provide.  

Even saints struggle with this.  Paul wrote about it and said,

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength."


Do you find a subtle discontent with what God has provided?  A change of perspective might really help your vision and turn your complaining into praise.

(Click on the photo above and take a minute to really look at this place so many call home.  Imagine living there yourself.  Now, look around where God has placed you and say, "thank you!")

In case you wondered this photo is of a village in Iran.

No comments: