Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The mercy of God

Psalm 119:132 Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.

Last night I had the amazing opportunity to teach through the book of Revelation once more. I'm nearly finished with our 14 weeks together, but last night we came to chapters 14-16. Chapter 16 caught my attention because in this passage we find, for the first time in the history of man, a time when the mercy of God is suspended. As the world comes to the end of time we also come to the time when God unleashes his wrath on a wicked unrepentant world. Reading through this passage made me keenly aware that we have never known a time on planet earth when the mercy of God was absent. We live in the very air of his mercy and most are unaware of it. I'm so grateful for his amazing mercy to us. I can only imagine how bad the days will be when his mercy is suspended and we see the world's response to his judgment. It's not a good day. I am grateful for his ever present mercy, and I am glad I will never know a time when it is absent in my life.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

Class was a little mind-boggling for me last night. So many deep theological concepts that it's hard for me to wrap my mind around it all. I appreciate that you always come back to the same point - there is a God and He is in completely in control. If nothing else, I will certainly come away from studying this amazing book with that simple (but complex) truth.